The project I am working on currently is a big enterprise application, mostly structured around the SOA model. Since we evolved a legacy code base, the service boundaries have just started to become crisp and clear. We are slowly starting to think of certain teams in the project owning a set of services, and also deciding on service contracts as a norm.
I am now starting to wonder how this model is going to work with Agile teams.
* Will this force us to do Big Design Upfront ? (BDUF)
* Will this force us to have service level teams ?
* How can we write good user stories (which are testable and showcaseable) for service level teams ?
* How can we structure the teams when we have multiple consumers (teams?) for one service ?
* Will this force developers to communicate using service contracts and documents more than unit tests?
* If we try to encourage cross functional teams, will it put a lot of stress on resourcing, with the need of shuffling people around a lot ?
I do not have answers to any of these yet, and a quick look at the Agile community , also does not give me any concrete answers.